Buckinghamshire Council Care Leavers: Our Local Offer

care leavers

Shared Lives

If you are open to the Transitions team as an adult with additional social care needs, your social worker will help you decide whether you are suitable for the ‘shared lives scheme’ and will discuss this with you. This is a scheme for adults with additional needs who are unable to live independently. You would live in a carer’s home and be supported.

If you will be remaining with your foster carers after the age of 18 and you have additional social care needs you will be assessed to see if you meet the eligibility for “shared lives”. If you are eligible for this support then the placement will be supported as a shared lives placement and not as a staying put arrangement.

Shared lives is available throughout adulthood whereas staying put is only until 21.