Buckinghamshire Council Care Leavers: Our Local Offer

care leavers

Being healthy as a care leaver

We will support you with keeping healthy and refer you to specialist services if needed.

We will offer:

  • a ‘health passport’ where we will help you understand your health history including your last health assessment
  • advice about how to claim help towards prescriptions, dental care and medical costs if you are on a low income, pregnant/new parent or on benefits
  • practical support and advice to complete exemption forms if requested
  • practical support to help you to find and register with a local GP and a Dentist
  • support to move from Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) to Adult Mental Health Services
  • advice about counselling services and support to make contact with them
  • support to attend hospital or other medical appointments
  • contribution to essential, non-cosmetic, dental work and/or toward prescription glasses/contact lenses can be considered if agreed in your Pathway Plan
  • support to help you to access emergency medical and dental care if required
  • support to help you access local leisure facilities
  • sexual health advice and support to access contraception

You may be eligible for help with NHS costs for things like prescriptions, dental check ups and sight tests. You can check if you are eligible here. Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs - NHSBSA.

If you are struggling with drugs or alcohol, your PA can support you in seeking advice from your GP and signpost you to other services that can help including One Recovery Bucks. You can also find lots of information online to help you understand and reduce your drug or alcohol use and access support, the FRANK website is a really good place to start.

An ‘Integrated Lifestyle Service’ is available to offer support across smoking, weight management, physical activity and a wide range of lifestyle practice. Find out more on the Live Well, Stay Well website.

You can find more information and advice on health on the Family Information Service (FIS) website.