Information and support for care leavers
Leaving care is a big step and we want to make sure that you feel supported and know where and who to come to for advice and help.
Care leavers local offer
We provide support and guidance to help care leavers prepare for adulthood and independent living.
Find out more in our care leavers local offer for 2022.
- advice and support from a Personal Adviser
- leaving care before turning 18
- education, employment and training
- going to university
- health and wellbeing
- finance, grants and loans
Support when you leave care
Support from the age of 16
When you are 16 and 17, we will provide you with money to cover your basic needs, ie funding for accommodation, weekly allowance (for food, phone credit, toiletries etc) clothing allowance, as well as birthday and Christmas/festivals gifts.
Dependent on your circumstances you may also be entitled to help with:
- education/training or employment costs
- health and counselling needs
- leisure activities
- important documents ie birth certificate, passport
- contact with family and other important adults in your life
- incentive payments
Support from the age of 18
If you are 18 years old and about to leave foster care or a children’s home, you may be eligible for leaving care services.
You will be eligible for support at age 18 if:
- you have been in care for 13 weeks from the age of 14 and are still in care aged 16 to 17
- you have left care and are aged 16 or 17
If you are aged over 21 years old and you enrol on a higher education course you may be eligible for leaving care support up to the age of 24.
It is important to talk to your Personal Advisor about the allowances that may be available to you and what your responsibilities are when receiving them.
Support from your Personal Advisor
Your Personal Advisor (PA) is happy to support you but will need your consent to speak to other agencies such as housing, colleges or health services.
If you would like your PA to speak to other agencies on your behalf complete our online consent form.