Council Tax discounts, exemptions and disregards

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over.

We base your Council Tax bill on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Select an option on the list below to find out if you're eligible for a discount, exemption or disregard and apply.

Sole occupants

Carers and people with disabilities

Students and apprentices

Buildings and properties

Other discounts and exemptions

After you've applied

After you've applied, we will assess your claim and contact you regarding the outcome. You must continue to make payments whilst a discount application is pending.

If your circumstances change

If your circumstances change and you believe that you are no longer eligible for a discount, disregard or exemption, contact us as soon as possible so we can adjust your bill.