Help and support if you’ve recently arrived from Ukraine

Last updated: 12 April 2022

16. Qualifications

Many 16 and 17 year olds arriving from Ukraine have been asking if their existing Ukrainian qualifications are equivalent to English ones.

Qualification (Ukraine) Equivalent (England)
Certificate of Complete General Secondary Education GCSE level

The Certificate of Complete General Secondary Education is actually slightly higher than GSCE, but not quite equivalent to UK A level
Certificate of Independent External Examination AS level

Students from Ukraine may be eligible for a foundation year at university, which would then lead into a 3-year degree programme. Students who have come through the recent settlement route will be eligible for student finance.

For academic purposes, most universities will have access and set requirements for students from Ukraine. View an example on the Buckinghamshire New University website.