Help and support if you’ve recently arrived from Ukraine

Last updated: 12 April 2022

14. Post 16 education

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

  • stay in full-time education, for example at a college or school sixth form
  • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Find out more about your options, see the post 16 education and training page on the Family Information Service website.

Buckinghamshire Sixth Form Admissions 2023

Ukrainian qualifications

Many 16 and 17 year olds arriving from Ukraine have been asking if their existing Ukrainian qualifications are equivalent to English ones.

  • The Certificate of Complete General Secondary Education (Ukraine) equates to GCSE levels in England (slightly higher but not the equivalent to UK A Levels).
  • The Certificate of Independent External Examination (Ukraine), is equivalent to an AS Level in England.
  • Students from Ukraine may be eligible for a Foundation Year at university, which would then lead into a three-year degree programme. It has also recently been announced that students who have come through the recent settlement route will be eligible for student finance.
  • For academic purposes, most universities will have access and set requirements for students from Ukraine. An example can be found on the Buckinghamshire New University website.
  • There is an organisation called ENIC who can give individuals statements of equivalency, which might be helpful in seeking employment, although they do charge for this