Apply to change school during the academic year (in-year transfer)
Introduction and key dates
You'll need to make an ‘in-year application’ if you want your child to move schools during the school year.
- changing schools if your child already attends a Buckinghamshire school
- moving to Buckinghamshire from another county or from abroad
- moving to Buckinghamshire and wanting your child to be considered for a grammar school
Find out who you need to apply to
Some schools manage their own admission process.
For example, if a school is an academy they will do their own admission process (or they may ask us to do this for them).
Use our online application checker to see who you need to apply to for an in-year application.
Learn more about the schools you are interested in
You can choose up to 3 schools to include in your application.
To help make your decision, we advise you:
- use our online service to find schools to apply for
- read the admission rules for the schools you choose (so you know how your child’s application will be considered)
To be entitled for free school transport, you must include your nearest school in your application.
View our transport policy for further information.
For immediate entry
You can only apply for a school place up to six weeks in advance before you wish your child to start.
If you are applying for immediate entry between May and July, we will only consider this for pupils moving into Buckinghamshire. All other applications will be considered for September 2023 entry.
For September 2023 entry
If you wish your child to move school to start in September 2023 you can make an application from 8 May 2023.
View when you'll hear back about your application on our offers and appeals page.