Guide to licensing houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

Your relationship to the licensable HMO

A "person having control" of a premises is someone who receives the rack-rent of the premises, whether on his own account or as agent or trustee of another person.

There can therefore be more than one "person having control" for any premises. For example, if the rent is collected by a managing agent and then passed onto the owner, both the agent and the owner may be the "person having control".

The "rack-rent" is a rent which is not less than two-thirds of the full market value of the premises.