Apply for or renew a driver licence (hackney carriage or private hire)
You need a licence to drive a taxi (hackney carriage) or private hire vehicle.
Driver licences are usually granted for 3 years, but may be granted for shorter duration in certain circumstances.
A driver licence costs £303.
What you'll need
To apply, you'll need:
- a valid credit or debit card to pay for your application
- a council approved medical certificate [PDF | 64 KB] or a PSV/HGV Group II medical certificate (completed and signed by your registered medical practice/practitioner within the previous 3 months)
Where you are unable to get a certificate from your registered GP we will currently accept a certificate from another GMC-registered medical practitioner. They must have seen your full medical records and complete and sign the certificate stating this.
If you're a new applicant, you must also provide:
- a council approved driving assessment certificate
- a certificate of attendance at a council approved wheelchair accessible vehicle driver course (wheelchair accessible vehicle drivers only)
- a score report from our English language test provider showing that you have passed the test, or an equivalent qualification
You'll need an online account to apply, renew or make changes to your licence. View our guidance on how to set up an account or make an application.
Before your licence is granted
You do not need these documents to complete the application form, however, to grant your licence, you'll also need:
- an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate or your original DBS certificate if you're subscribed to the DBS Update Service
- a Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training certificate issued within the last 3 years
- a DVLA check code (before your licence is issued, checks will be made with the DVLA about your driving licence).
New applicants must also provide evidence of your right to work in the UK.
We are the controller for the personal information we use about you. We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.
For information and support with the licensing process, you can contact taxi licensing.