Event safety guide for event organisers

Last updated: 25 January 2022

11. Insurance

As the event organiser you will need to arrange insurance cover to indemnify yourself against civil litigation. This is referred to as `Public Liability Insurance'. The normal minimum cover should be £5 million. Seek expert opinion about your particular needs, which may necessitate a greater figure. If the event is to be held on the Public Highway, a minimum of £10 million is required.

Ensure your contractors and performers have their own insurance cover.

Consider contacting a specialist insurance broker to arrange the coverage and amount of insurance cover well in advance of the event. Different policies may come with conditions, which may be difficult to meet in practice, and you should take this into account.

If you require a Road Closure Notice, you will need to arrange a minimum of £10 million Public Liability Insurance and must indemnify the council against all third parties. We will require proof of this cover in advance.

If you are part of a national charity or a voluntary group, contact your headquarters. You may already be insured or have access to discounted rates.

Consider taking out an insurance policy against bad weather (Pluvius). This is available from specialist brokers and can pay out if bad weather forces cancellation before the event is declared open.

Before you sign any policy, read the small print and check that all your liabilities are covered.