Apply for an alcohol or entertainment premises licence

Apply for a premises licence if you need to license a premises to:

  • sell alcohol (you’ll also need at least one personal licence holder)
  • sell late night refreshment such as hot food and drink supplied between 11pm and 5am
  • provide regulated entertainment - for example, nightclubs, cinemas, theatres, festivals and indoor sporting arenas

You’ll also need a premises licence if you’re planning a one-off event that may attract more than 500 people and isn't covered by a temporary event notice.


The fee for your application is based on the business rates of your premises.

There is also an annual fee paid for each year you hold the licence.

Business rate band Fee Yearly fee (recurring)

A - £0 to £4,300



B - £4,301 to £33,000



C - £33,001 to £87,000



D - £87,001 to £125,000



E - £125,001 or more



For businesses in rates D and E, the fees will double if your premises is primarily used for the consumption of alcohol, such as a nightclub.

If the premises has not yet been built

You can check to see if your premises is likely to obtain a full licence before you commit to developing a site if it:

  • has not yet been built
  • is being extended or altered

To do this, you can apply for a provisional statement online.

Prepare your premises plan

A plan of the premises should be included with your application.

The plan needs to meet the requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003 and show:

  • the extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • the location of points of access to and egress from the premises
  • if different from above, the location of escape routes from the premises
  • in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity
  • fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • in a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  • in a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • in a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms
  • the location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment, including if applicable, marine safety equipment
  • the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

How to apply

Before you start, you should read our alcohol and entertainment licence guidance notes PDF, 170KB.

During your application you’ll be asked to upload:

  • a plan of the premises
  • consent form signed by the designated premises supervisor (DPS)
  • evidence demonstrating right to work in the UK (for individual applicants)

If you’re applying for a joint licence, and not applying through an agent, each applicant will each need to supply evidence and sign the form.

You should make sure you have these documents available before you begin.

You’ll be asked to register or log in to your account.

Apply now

If you apply online, the responsible authorities will automatically be notified as part of your application. We'll confirm within 24 hours to let you know if your application was successful.

Next steps

All applications will go through a 28 day consultation period.

During this period you must advertise your application.

If any objections are made that can not be resolved through mediation, the application will be heard by our licensing committee within 20 working days of the end of the consultation period.

Appealing a decision

If you believe the wrong decision has been made, you can appeal if you:

  • are the person that applied
  • made an official representation in favour of the application

You must lodge an appeal at the Magistrates Court within 21 days of the date the applicant was informed of the licensing committee’s decision.

Surrendering your licence

If the licence is no longer in use and you wish to surrender it, download and complete our Surrender of Premises Licence form DOCX, 19.7KB.

You can return your completed form by email or by post.

Make changes to your licence

See our information on making changes to your licence if you want to:

  • transfer a licence to another person
  • make a major or minor change variation

Alternatively, if you've already nominated a designated premises supervisor (DPS), you can vary or remove a DPS online.

Help with your application

If you need help making your application, contact the alcohol and entertainment licensing team.