Apply for a disabled person's bus pass
Use this service to apply for a bus pass to travel for free if you:
- are permanently disabled
- have a disability that lasts at least 12 months (or likely to last at least 12 months)
Your form must be signed by a health professional, any charge for this would be for you to pay.
Who can apply
You can apply if you are:
- blind or partially sighted
- profoundly or severely deaf
- without speech
- have a disability or have an injury which has substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability
- have been refused a driving license due to physical incapacity (this does not include refusal on grounds of drug or alcohol misuse)
- are in receipt of Higher Rate Mobility for Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
The following are set by the government, under the Transport Act 2000.
How to apply
- an email address
- your National Insurance Number
- current proof of eligibility
- a passport-style photo
Your bus passes will be valid anywhere in England but except Dial-a-Rides and most coach services.
If you cannot travel alone
If you're unable to travel alone due to your disability, you'll need to apply for an additional companion bus pass.
To apply you'll need to:
- complete the paper application form
- provide a letter from a health professional confirming that you can not travel without support
Your companion can travel for free in Buckinghamshire (excluding Milton Keynes), but must get on and off the bus at the same point as you.
If you receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
You can also apply under your PIP requirements if you've scored 8 or more points for:
- moving around and activities
- communicating verbally
You'll need to send us the complete award letter that details how the award has been given.
When you can use your bus pass
Your bus pass can be used in Buckinghamshire from 9am to 11:59pm, Monday to Friday.
You can also use it anywhere in England:
- from 9:30am to 11.00pm, Monday to Friday
- all day at weekends and bank holidays
If your pass has been issued as a result of a visual impairment, you can use it anywhere in Buckinghamshire at any time. Your pass will require the following symbol on it:
Renewing your bus pass
The expiry date will be 5 years from the start date of the bus pass.
Your pass will be valid until:
- it passes its expiry date (shown on front of card)
- the announcement of any alterations to scheme conditions
We do not send renewal reminders but you can renew your pass online.