Moving into rented accommodation

What to expect when private renting

Privately rented property is owned by a private landlord who rents out their property.

This could be property that is:

  • self contained
  • a room with shared kitchen,living and bathroom areas

Affording your rent

You will only be able to rent privately if you can afford the full rent amount or are eligible for help with housing through Universal Credit.

The amount of money you receive for rent under Universal Credit will be capped at the Local Housing Allowance shared accommodation rate (SAR), if all of the below apply:

  • you're under 35 years older
  • you do not live with a partner
  • you live in private housing

The shared accommodation rate (SAR) is the equivalent rent for a single room in your area.

This can still be applied to rent for other accommodation, it doesn't have to be a single room in a shared house.

You can find help available if you're struggling to pay your rent.

Tenancy agreements

You will be asked to sign a tenancy agreement which sets out a contract between you and the landlord.

This will agree whether your tenancy will last 6, 12 or 24 months.

Rights and responsibilities

GOV.UK has a lot of information about your rights and responsibilities when renting a property.

Leaving rented property

View our information on moving or leaving rented housing to find out:

  • what to do if you're given notice or asked to leave
  • what to expect when you move out
  • about tenancy deposit schemes
  • about social housing options if you're struggling to pay private rental prices