Moving or leaving rented housing

Moving home

Private tenants will usually be required to give notice to their landlords that they intend to move. Check your tenancy agreement for details. If you paid a deposit when moving in this should be held in a tenancy deposit scheme. Your landlord will inspect the premises when you leave to check whether there are any losses to deduct from the deposit.

These approved rent deposit schemes have a dispute service in case of any disagreement. You should have received information from your landlord about the scheme which gives information about the deposit and process. Minimum notice and when to give notice will be depending on your tenancy type. See Citizens Advice on ending your tenancy for more information.

Council or housing association tenants

If you think that your property is no longer suitable for your needs due to a change in your family or circumstances and you cannot afford to buy your own home you should consider the following options:

  • you can apply to go on the housing register if you are eligible and qualify to join
  • you can consider registering for a mutual exchange via Homeswapper

If you move into private rented accommodation and you are currently on the housing register you need to tell us so that your details remain up to date. 

Note that accommodation is limited and is in very high demand and that you are unlikely to be prioritised unless your home is no longer suitable for your needs

Asked to leave property

If you’re unable to find alternative accommodation and are likely to become homeless in the next 56 days, see homeless or at risk of losing your home.

If your landlord has asked you to leave your rented property and has served notice, this must be within certain guidelines. If you are at risk of losing your home, contact our Housing team as soon as possible.

Advice can also be sought from: