Designated premises supervisors (DPS)

Remove the need for a designated premises supervisor

If you run community premises, you may be able to sell alcohol without the need for a designated premises supervisor (DPS).

Some examples of community premises include:

  • church halls
  • parish halls
  • community halls

Under the Licencing Act, the board or management committee can effectively take on the responsibility for alcohol sales. This process is called "disapplication."

Apply for a disapplication

Applications cost £23 and must be submitted by the committee or board.

Your application must include:

  • how the premises is managed
  • your committee structure
  • how the supervision of alcohol sales is to be ensured
Apply now

If you apply online, the police will automatically be notified as part of your application. We'll confirm within 24 hours to let you know if your application was successful.


Only the police can object to a disapplication on the grounds of crime and disorder.

If the police objects to the disapplication, we must hold a hearing to consider their feedback and decide whether to grant the application.


If an objection is received, you can appeal this decision.

If you want to appeal the objection, we will:

  • arrange a hearing to determine the application
  • invite both you and the police to attend

Help with your application

If you need help making your application, contact the alcohol and entertainment licensing team.