Register a birth
What happens at the appointment
When you attend the appointment, you should bring:
- your baby's red NHS book
- documents for each parent such as a passport, driving licence, utility bill, birth or marriage certificate (we can still register the birth without these documents)
- a payment card to pay the fee for the birth certificates required
What you'll be asked at the appointment
During the appointment, the registrar will ask you:
- your baby’s name, date and place of birth
- the parents’ names, places of birth, occupations and addresses
You'll also be asked the following information which will not be on the birth certificate:
- if the parents were married to each other at the time of the birth and the date of the marriage
- if the mother has had any other children or been married before
- the parents’ dates of birth
At the end of the appointment you'll be asked how many copies of the birth certificate you would like.
Certificates cost £11. Bring a payment card. You can buy extra copies of birth certificates online.