Order a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate
Use this service to order:
- birth certificates
- death certificates
- civil marriage or civil partnership certificates
These are fully certified copies which are suitable for most official purposes.
If you're researching your family tree, you can order historical registration certificates.
Payment and delivery
For the standard service:
- certificates cost £11 including 2nd class postage
- certificate will be dispatched within 15 working days of receiving your order, Monday to Friday (excluding bank and public holidays)
For the priority service:
- certificates cost £35 including 1st class postage
- if ordered before 3pm, certificate will be dispatched within 1 working day of receiving your order Monday to Friday (excluding bank and public holidays)
- if ordered after 3pm, certificate will be dispatched within 24 hours of receiving your order Monday to Friday (excluding bank and public holidays)
We are unable to offer the priority service for Marriages and Civil Partnerships that took place less than 21 days ago.
All certificates are sent by Royal Mail. We cannot guarantee Royal Mail's delivery times as these are subject to their own working practices.
Once the certificates leave this office, we cannot be held responsible for the time it takes to reach your address. For up-to-date postage times check the Royal Mail website.
Order your certificates online using a credit or debit card.
If the registration took place outside of Buckinghamshire, you should contact the register office in the local authority it took place.
Use our overseas service if you need to order a certificate if you're living abroad.
We'll dispatch your certificates within 15 working days of receiving your application.
If you need a copy of a certificate urgently, you can order a certificate using our priority service. This costs £35 and certificates are sent within 24 hours via first class post. You can also collect priority certificates from our offices.
Other ways of ordering
To order a copy of a certificate by telephone, call the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.
To order by post, write to your local register office and include:
- details of the type of certificate you need
- payment by cheque made payable to Buckinghamshire Council
- contact phone number for you
- the specific information needed for each certificate
Help ordering a certificate
For support or advice about ordering certificates, contact the registration service team.