Check what you can put in your bins
Use our Waste Wizard to find out where you can recycle, reuse or repair household items and what bins to use.
To view the Waste Wizard on this page you must accept additional cookies, which enables postcode preferences. If you still can’t see the waste wizard:
- go to the settings on your browser
- clear your cookies
- refresh this page and agree to the cookies
What you can put in each bin
Select a type of bin, box or bag to find out what you can dispose of in it.
How to dispose of other items
Find out how to dispose of small household electricals, batteries and textiles.
Extra waste and recycling
We will only collect general waste that fits in your bin with the bin lid closed.
We can collect a reasonable amount of extra recycling that doesn’t fit in your box or bin. To help us collect extra recycling:
- put it in a reusable container, such as a plastic box, so that we can tip it out - we will not collect recyclables in plastic bags
- leave it neatly beside your usual recycling box, bag or bin
- cut down and flatten cardboard boxes to a manageable size and remove all other packaging (such as polystyrene, plastic inserts)
Take any extra recycling or waste to your nearest household recycling centre.
If bins contain incorrect items
We won’t empty your recycling bins, bags or boxes if they contain the wrong type of material. For example, when there is plastic in a paper recycling bin. This is because it ‘contaminates’ the load so we can’t take that load to the recycling facility.
Help us recycle more by checking what you can put in each bin.
Bin collection days
View our policy
For more information about types of bin, our policy for replacements and missed collections, view the Household Waste Collection Policy for Southern Buckinghamshire.