Apply for a spare seat on a council-run school bus

Applications for the new academic year (starting in September 2024) will open at the end of June.

View the application timeline to see the next steps.

You can apply for a spare seat on one of the council-run school buses we run for children who get free school transport. You will have to pay for your child's place.

Spaces are limited, so you should also research other school transport options, in case your application is not successful.

Before you start

You will need to know the bus route and the bus stop your child will use.

We prioritise applications. You will need to scan and upload documents as evidence if your child:

  • is in care or adopted from care - a letter confirming your child is fostered or your child's adoption certificate
  • has special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and a current Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) - your child's most recent EHCP
  • is from an Armed Forces family - your MoD 90 ID card or Veteran Card
  • has a sibling who already takes the bus - the sibling's bus pass number, the 5 or 6 digit number above their name on their bus pass

You only need to supply evidence if your child is in one of those groups.