Change the owner of a taxi or private hire vehicle

Transfer the ownership of your vehicle licence to another party.

Before you start, refer to our hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy. The policy contains important information about vehicle specifications and requirements, including age limits.

What you'll need

To start your application, you'll need:

  • your vehicle insurance documents that cover you for private hire or hackney carriage work and schedule (if covered by fleet insurance)
  • your V5C - log book/registration document with pages 1 and 2 in the name of the applicant or other proof of ownership of the vehicle
  • written consent from the previous owner to transfer the licence
  • a valid credit or debit card to pay for your application

All documents must be uploaded in the following formats: PDF, PNG, JPEG or TIFF.

If you fail to provide accurate answers or provide false information to any of the questions asked, your application is likely to be refused.



We are the controller for the personal information we use about you. We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.

The law requires us to give you details about how we use and protect your information, view the taxi licensing privacy policy.


For information and support with the licensing process, you can contact taxi licensing.