Temporarily transfer a taxi or private hire licence to another vehicle

Request a temporary licence transfer for your taxi or private hire vehicle.

You can transfer your licence temporarily to another vehicle due to an accident or other damage. The licence must return to the original vehicle within 6 months.

If your vehicle needs to be permanently replaced, you need to apply for a new vehicle licence.

For more information, view the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy.

What you'll need

To complete your application, you'll need:

  • your vehicle insurance documents that cover you for private hire or hackney carriage work (or schedule if covered by fleet insurance)
  • your V5C log book or registration document with pages 1 and 2
  • written permission from the registered keeper to use the vehicle for private hire or hackney carriage work
  • your vehicle lease or hire agreement (if applicable)
  • an MOT or compliance test certificate

You'll need to pay for your application using a valid credit or debit card.



We are the controller for the personal information we use about you. We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.

The law requires us to give you details about how we use and protect your information, view the taxi licensing privacy policy


For information and support with the licensing process, you can contact taxi licensing.