Wendover Community Library improvement project
Buckinghamshire Libraries have been successful with a funding bid to the Arts Council England Libraries Improvement Fund.
The funding is to transform Wendover Community Library into an inclusive, multi-use community hub that offers a single point of contact for local services in Wendover and provides for a range of social, educational, health and cultural activities.
As a community hub, we want Wendover Library to meet the needs of our current library customers, as well as attract new customers including those from marginalised groups, providing a diverse and inclusive service.
We aim to do this through developing new partnerships to broaden the service offer and generate new social and cultural activities.
Come along to the Wendover Library Transformation - Community Engagement Day to find out how the project has progressed since the last engagement day.
Saturday 20 May, 10am to 4pm at Wendover Community Library
Aim of the project
The aims of the fund are to:
- enable libraries to develop more flexible spaces
- increase and improve digital access in the community
- connect libraries to their communities
- increase potential for transformation
- increase library use
- increase sustainability of libraries
The bid for £310,000 is to transform Wendover Community Library into an inclusive, multi-use community hub that offers a single point of contact for local services in Wendover. As well as this it will provide a focal point for a range of social, educational, health and cultural activities that promote community cohesion and wellbeing.
In addition, capital funding of £120,000 has been agreed as part of Buckinghamshire Council’s Capital programme with several smaller grants from the Wendover Community Trust and the Wendover Parish Council.
The total value of this scheme will be in the region of £500,000.
Keep up to date with the progress of the project with our Wendover Community Library improvement project blogs.
Our plans for the project include:
- extension of the library into the courtyard
- visually aesthetic glass entrance to increase visibility and access
- newly decorated interior with new fittings and furniture using dementia and autism friendly colour pallets
- additional flexible space/meeting room
- sensory children's library
- improved energy efficiency
- multifunctional reception area
View the proposed Wendover Community Library design concept.
Newly decorated interior
The planned changes include:
- new fittings and furniture using dementia and autism friendly colour pallets
- sensory children's library
- soft seating for reading and social interaction
- privacy pods
View the proposed Wendover Community Library interior design concept.
New collections and technology
Planned improvements to the library include:
- new self-service technology to increase digital access such as a new self-service kiosk for book loans and print release, loanable tablets (hublets) and wireless printing
- 'Library Extra' to enable non-staff assisted access and out of hours access for users and room hirers
- new diverse stock such as reminiscence collections and resources to promote health and wellbeing
View more about accessibility through technology.
Wendover Community Library will have improved energy efficiency through enhancements made to increase natural light into the building. It will also have an effective building management system which will control heating and lighting.
We aim to make the new library hub more sustainable through generating additional income, increasing footfall and use from community groups and local businesses.
To maximise the impact of the new design of the library building, we will be commissioning an installation that is inspired by Wendover’s heritage and/or communities.
The art installation will be informed by the local people of Wendover.
Find out more about the Wendover Library Art Commission on our Library blog.
Wendover community garden
Wendover Community Library Trust will be improving the garden space at the library, converting it to an aesthetic garden which can be used by the whole community.
The aim is to make the garden more accessible for all, as well as being an attractive, modern and easily maintained space for relaxation, conversation - and even small meetings.
Find out more about Wendover Library community garden.
Timeline for the project
We have started engaging with residents, stakeholder, library users and non-users on the project. The new library is planned to launch January 2024.
If you’d like to find out more contact [email protected].