Apply to install a gate across a public footpath, bridleway or byway

You'll need to make an application to install or alter structures, such as gates on or across a public right of way.

You’ll need to apply to us if:

  • a gate is required for stock control on farming land
  • a structure is required for public safety
  • our definitive map shows a structure as a limitation on the right of way (provided that structure has not been removed for 20 years or more)

What you’ll need

To apply, you’ll need to:

  • state the parish, status and number of the path (if known)
  • give details on the proposed structure
  • provide your name and address, status as owner or person who holds the lease
  • complete the Section 147 Form

You’ll need to submit a separate form for each proposed structure.

Types of structure

When considering whether or not a structure may be authorised, we give preference to structures which minimise the ‘obstruction’ of the path.

When ordering a structure, you should state to the supplier that it must conform to the British standard of gaps, gates and stiles BS 5709 2018.

Design considerations

When designing a new gate, you should consider:

  • the surface and approach of gateway will generally require improvement to prevent it becoming muddy (improvements should be specified in the application)
  • there should be no fencing at right angles to the gate, for bridleways only
  • there should be no barbed wire attached to or within 1 metre of the structure
  • that any adjoining fencing must be independent of the gate structure


Off the shelf gates are available from many suppliers, including:

Centrewire Ltd
Brookhouse Industrial Estate
Cheadle, Stone-on-Trent
ST10 1SR

Telephone: 01538 756 554

Mc Veigh Parker
Little Hadham Road
Much Hadham
SG10 6HL

Telephone: 01279 842 842

Secure a field
Ridgefield Business Park
Copt Oak
Beacon Road
Woodhouse Eaves
LE12 9YE

Telephone: 01530 242 405

How to apply

Download and complete our application form.

Application for authorisation to install a structure on a footpath or bridleway DOCX, 1.80MB.

Post your completed application form to:

Rights of Way Operations
Buckinghamshire Council
Walton Street
HP20 1UY

Contact the rights of way team