Register to perform tattoo and skin piercing treatments

Treatments covered

Under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, you and your premises must register with us to carry out:

  • Tattooing including micropigmentation (permanent and semi permanent makeup)
  • Cosmetic piercings
  • Electrolysis
  • Acupuncture (including dry needling)
  • any other invasion of the skin (for example, microblading and micro needling)

This is to safeguard the public against health risks, including diseases such as Hepatitis and HIV.

For information on other treatments or exceptions for medical professionals, see exemptions.

It is an offence to undertake any skin piercing practices if the premises and the person performing them is not registered.

If you are practicing at a premises that is already registered, you need only register as a practitioner.

Practitioners must operate out of a fixed registered premises.

This may include modified vehicles suitable for carrying out skin piercing activities as long as they meet our byelaws.

Before you apply

Register a premises

A fee of £220 is due to register a premises and up to 1 practitioner.

Register a premises.

Register as a practitioner

A fee of £60 is due to register as a practitioner.

Register as a practitioner.

Next steps

Your premises will be inspected before a certificate is granted.


Exempt person(s)

Registration is not required when skin piercing is undertaken by, or under the supervision of, a registered medical practitioner.

In the case of acupuncture, a dentist also does not need to register with us.

Exempt treatments

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 does not require you to register with us to carry out:

  • scarification
  • branding
  • sub or transdermal implants
  • ocular implants
  • tongue splitting
  • Botox and cosmetic filler implants

Hair removal by the use of Class 3B and 4 lasers or intense pulsed light sources require registration with the Care Quality Commission.

Botox is a prescription only medicine and can only be administered to a defined patient by a doctor or a nurse under the supervision of a doctor.


Make changes or get a replacement certificate