Complain about a tattoo or skin piercing premises or practitioner

You can use this page to raise concerns about a business or person carrying out treatments such as:

  • Tattooing including micropigmentation (permanent and semi permanent makeup)
  • Cosmetic piercings
  • Electrolysis
  • Acupuncture (including dry needling)
  • any other invasion of the skin (for example, microblading and micro needling)

Tattooing anyone under 18 years of age is a criminal offence and should be reported to the police for action.

Types of complaint

There are two ways you can raise concerns about a practitioner or business :

  • consumer complaint (poor service)
  • report a registered practitioner or premises (health concerns)

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, you can get advice from Consumer Direct (in the UK) or UK European Consumer Centre (from outside of the UK).

Report a registered practitioner or premises

If your complaint is in relation to:

  • the way in which a premises is operating
  • the way in which a practitioner is operating
  • an infection or health related condition caused by a treatment

Report this to [email protected].