Register a death

Report a death to government organisations (Tell Us Once)

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.

When you register a death, the registrar will explain to you how the Tell Us Once service works. We'll then send you:

  • a letter with a reference number
  • instructions on how to use the service

You should try to set this up within a week of receiving the instructions.

How to use Tell Us Once

To use the service, you'll need to provide information about the person that died, this includes:

  • their National Insurance number
  • their driving licence (if held) or driver number if licence not available
  • their passport (if held) or passport number if passport not available
  • information about any benefits and services they may have been receiving (for example, state pension, income support, housing benefit or library card)
  • the National Insurance number or date of birth of their surviving husband, wife or civil partner (if applicable)
  • the name, address and telephone number of their next of kin

You'll also need:

  • the Tell Us Once reference number (we provide this to you)
  • the death certificate information
  • the name and address of the person dealing with the estate of the person who died (if different to next of kin)


Visit GOV.UK to use Tell Us Once online.

By phone

Use Tell Us Once by phone by calling 0800 085 7308.

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Local councils

If the deceased lived in Buckinghamshire or in a participating council area, Tell Us Once will contact:

  • housing benefit office
  • Council Tax payments and benefits office
  • council housing
  • libraries
  • Blue Badge
  • adult social care
  • children's services
  • collection of payments for Council Services, for example, assisted bin collections

HM Passport Office

Passport cancellation

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Driving Licence Cancellation

Department for Work and Pensions

  • Pension, Disability and Carers Services
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Overseas Health Team

Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

War Pensions Scheme

HM Revenue and Customs

Personal Taxation