Food waste recycling
You can recycle your food scraps and leftover food waste using a small food caddy or container in the kitchen.
You can then empty that into you outdoor food recycling bin.
When it's collected
We will empty your outdoor food waste bin every week.
When you put your caddy out, make sure the lid is locked to prevent spillage. In strong winds, put your caddy in a sheltered spot as it can be blown over.
You can check your bin collection day online.
What you can put in your food waste caddy
We will collect:
- all uneaten food and plate scrapings
- mouldy or out of date food
- raw and cooked meat or fish, including bones
- dairy products such as cheese
- fruit and vegetables - raw, cooked or peelings
- eggs and eggshells
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- rice, pasta and beans
- baked goods such as cakes, bread and pastries
- pet food
What you cannot put in your food waste caddy
We will not collect:
- non-food items, including nappies
- liquids such as milk - these can leak and cause spillages during transportation
- packaging of any kind
- any material that is not food waste
Looking after your caddy
You don’t need to line your caddy (put your food in loose). If you prefer to line it to make it easier to clean, you can use:
- salad, bread and cereal wrapping
- newspaper or kitchen roll
- carrier bags
- compostable bags
- clear plastic bags or freezer bags
- pedal bin liners
We cannot accept black bin liners, rubble sacks, or hard plastic packaging.
Buckinghamshire residents can get a discount on compostable liners from Great Green Systems.
If you need a new or replacement food caddy
If your bin is damaged, lost or stolen, you can request a new food caddy.
You can also ask for an extra caddy if you have a lot of food waste. We may charge for this service.
Report a problem
If there is a problem with your collection, you can report a missed bin collection.
Composting at home
Composting is an inexpensive, natural process that transforms kitchen and garden waste into a nutrient rich food for your garden. We offer discounted prices for compost bins and food waste digesters.
Benefits of food waste recycling
We put your food waste to good use. By recycling your food separately, it can be turned into energy to power our homes and businesses and also a high quality fertiliser for use on agricultural land.