Food waste recycling
We put your food waste to good use. By recycling your food separately, it can be turned into energy to power our homes and businesses and also a high quality fertiliser for use on agricultural land. Find out what we do with your food waste.
You can recycle your food scraps and leftover food waste using a small food caddy or container in the kitchen. You can then empty that into you outdoor food recycling bin.
We will empty your outdoor food waste bin every week.
Check your bin collection day
Local Area Links
Enter your postcode to help us send you to the right place
What you can put in your food waste caddy
- all uneaten food and plate scrapings
- mouldy or out of date food
- raw and cooked meat or fish, including bones
- dairy products such as cheese
- fruit and vegetables - raw, cooked or peelings
- eggs and eggshells
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- rice, pasta and beans
- baked goods such as cakes, bread and pastries
- pet food
What you can't put in your food waste caddy
- non-food items including nappies
- liquids such as milk - these can leak and cause spillages during transportation
- packaging of any kind
- any material that is not food waste
Looking after your caddy
You don’t need to line your caddy (put your food in loose). If you prefer to line it to make it easier to clean, you can use:
- salad, bread and cereal wrapping
- newspaper or kitchen roll
- carrier bags
- compostable bags
- clear plastic bags or freezer bags
- pedal bin liners
We cannot accept black bin liners, rubble sacks, or hard plastic packaging.
Buckinghamshire residents can get a discount on compostable liners from Great Green Systems.
When you put your caddy out, make sure the lid is locked to prevent spillage. In strong winds, put your caddy in a sheltered spot as it can be blown over.
Composting at home
Composting is an inexpensive, natural process that transforms kitchen and garden waste into a nutrient rich food for your garden. We offer discounted prices for compost bins and food waste digesters.
If you need a new or replacement food caddy
You can request a new food caddy if yours has been:
- damaged, lost or stolen
- vandalised or burnt
You can also ask for an extra caddy if you have a lot of food waste. We may charge for this service.
Request a new or replacement bin
Local Area Links
Find local information
Contact the waste and recycling team
If you have a question about food waste collections that is not answered on this page, you can contact us for help.