Demolish a building or structure

If you want to demolish a building, you’ll need to submit a demolition notice to us 6 weeks before you start.

There is no fee to submit a demolition notice.

What buildings are exempt

You do not need to submit a demolition notice for:

  • sheds, greenhouses, conservatories or prefabricated garages
  • agricultural buildings (unless they're attached to another non-agricultural building)
  • buildings or rooms which are less than 50 cubic metres
  • internal parts of an occupied building which are intended to remain occupied
  • any buildings or structures where you've received a 'demolition order'

Check if you need planning permission

You'll need planning permission if you want to carry out a demolition to:

  • a building or structure within a conservation area
  • a pub, theatre or concert hall
  • outdoor statues or monuments
  • unsafe or uninhabitable buildings

You can check if the demolition work requires planning permission (planning portal).

Give notice of the demolition

Contact our building control team at least 6 weeks before you plan to do the work.

You'll need to provide information about:

  • yourself
  • the building's owner
  • the person carrying out the demolition work
Give notice now

Notifying utility companies and neighbours

You'll also need to provide at least 6 weeks' notice to the:

  • occupier of any building adjacent to the building being demolished
  • gas supplier in the area the building is situated
  • electricity supplier in the area the building is situated

What happens next

We will provide a 'counter-notice' within 6 weeks which will show any conditions which need to be met during the demolition.

Before you start work, you should request a site inspection.

Help with demolishing a building

For help and support, contact building control in your local area: