Trees and hedges guidance

Last updated: 2 November 2021

Felling protected trees for development to take place

Protected trees can be felled by application to the council. If an application for development affects protected trees, the impact on the trees will be considered as part of the assessment of the proposal as a whole.

If the need to fell a protected tree or trees is specifically included in an application for development, you do not need to make a separate application for the protected trees. However, if the application does not specifically show that a protected tree will need to be removed to carry out the development, or if permission is refused, then written consent to fell the protected tree (s) would still need to be obtained.

What to do if you think someone has damaged or felled a protected tree

Damaging or felling a protected tree is a breach. Report any alleged breaches to our Planning Enforcement team.

Entering your garden to inspect your trees

If an application has been made to the council to do work on a protected tree, or to request advice about trees, they'll need to enter your garden.
Council officers will carry an identity card issued by the council. If you have any doubts about the identity of somebody claiming to be employed by the council, contact us:

Aylesbury Vale: [email protected]

Chiltern & South Bucks: [email protected]

Wycombe: [email protected]

Felling licences

The Forestry Commission controls the quantity of timber that can be felled at any time, by issuing felling licences: Trees in private residential 'gardens' are exempt from this provision. You can apply for a felling licence at GOV.UK.