Check if work on your property was done legally

Apply for retrospective planning permission

You can submit a retrospective planning application via the Planning Portal but it does not mean that you will automatically be granted permission.

We will treat the application in the usual way, and the fact that work has already been carried out will not influence our decision.

Alternatively, you can apply for a ‘lawful development certificate’ (development or use) if a development, such a building or structure, has existed for 4 years, or a use of land has existed for 10 years, as it has then become lawful.

We can issue an enforcement notice if the retrospective application is refused, which means you may have to put things back to how they were.

You can appeal against an enforcement notice at GOV.UK but you must do this before the date the notice takes effect.