Apply for or renew a private hire operator licence
You will require an Operators Licence in order to accept bookings and dispatch vehicles for hire or reward.
All dispatched vehicles must be licensed by the council that issued the operator licence. The drivers of those vehicles must also be licensed by the same council.
An operator's licence can be granted for up to a maximum of 5 years.
Who needs to complete the application
The application must be completed by the proposed licence holder and it is essential that all questions are answered accurately and honestly.
If you are a company registered on Companies House and wish for the licence to be held in the name of the company, make sure that:
- the proposed licence holder is in the name of the company
- the application is made and signed by a director or partner of that company
If there have been any changes to the directors in your company that you have not already told us about, you will not be able to amend this in the application form. You will need to complete a variation application.
What you will need
To apply for a new, renewal or licence extension, you'll need:
- a list of your licenced drivers and badge numbers in CSV or XLS format
- a list of your licensed vehicles and plate numbers in in CSV or XLS format
- a valid credit or debit card to pay for your application
- a passport size photograph
- public liability insurance (if your operating base is open to the public)
- employer's liability insurance (if an employer)
- to have completed safeguarding and disability awareness training within the last 3 years (and have your certificate)
- evidence of your right to work in the UK
- to have completed an HMRC tax check and have received your 9 character code
- a basic criminal record disclosure issued within the last 3 months (if you're subscribed to the DBS Update Service and hold a valid driver licence with us, you do not need to provide a basic DBS)
- a certificate of good conduct if you have been out of the country for more than 3 months since the age of 18
- evidence that your operating base is located in the Buckinghamshire Council area (ie a lease agreement or land registry document)
All documents must be uploaded to the application form as either PDF, PNG, JPEG or TIFF format.
Make an application
You'll need an online account to apply, renew or make changes to your licence. View our guidance on how to set up an account or make an application.
If you complete your application without the correct documentation it may be rejected. Please make sure you have everything to hand before applying.
Once you have applied and we have checked your application, an officer will contact you.
We are the controller for the personal information we use about you. We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.
For information and support with the licensing process, you can contact taxi licensing.