Apply for or renew a private hire operator licence
You will require an Operators Licence in order to accept bookings and dispatch vehicles for hire or reward.
All dispatched vehicles must be licensed by the council that issued the operator licence. The drivers of those vehicles must also be licensed by the same council.
An operator's licence can be granted for up to a maximum of 5 years.
Make an application
To apply, you'll need a:
- list of your licenced drivers and badge numbers in CSV or XLS format
- list of your licensed vehicles and plate numbers in in CSV or XLS format
- valid credit or debit card to pay for your application
You'll need an online account to apply, renew or make changes to your licence. View our guidance on how to set up an account or make an application.
Before your licence is granted
Before we grant your licence, you’ll need to provide:
- public liability insurance (if required)
- employer’s liability insurance (if required)
- evidence of your right to work in the UK.
- basic criminal record disclosure issued within the last 3 months or your original DBS certificate (if you're subscribed to the DBS Update Service)
- successful completion of our operator knowledge test
- a Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training certificate issued within the last 3 years
- evidence of your right to use your proposed operating centre
- list of your licensed drivers and badge numbers (if not provided in your application)
- list of your licensed vehicles and plate numbers (if not provided in your application)
We are the controller for the personal information we use about you. We're committed to protecting your privacy when you use our services.
For information and support with the licensing process, you can contact taxi licensing.