Apply for a parking suspension
A parking suspension is when a parking space or spaces are put out of use for a limited time.
You can apply to suspend on-street parking spaces, including:
- resident parking spaces (for no longer than 7 days in a row, unless other parking areas are made available to residents)
- any space where it is legal to park and does not cause an obstruction
How to apply
To apply you need to upload proof of:
- your address (this can be a Council Tax or utility bill, or a tenancy agreement)
- the vehicle you are using (this can be a vehicle registration document, or a hire or lease agreement)
- the space you want to suspend (this can be a screenshot from an online mapping tool, or any other images that will help us to identify the specific area you want to suspend)
See how much it costs for a parking suspension and how much notice we need.
Suspend a space in a car park
You can also apply to suspend an off-street parking space in a car park.
Email us to suspend a space in a car park.
Reasons we may suspend a parking space
There needs to be a good reason for us to suspend a parking space. This can include:
- ensuring the safe movement of traffic
- essential building or maintenance work
- essential highways or utilities work
- furniture removals
- special events such as weddings or funerals
- pedestrian safety
You cannot get a parking suspension for general parking needs.
On-street suspensions are only available for up to 6 months.
If you need a suspension for longer than 6 months, you will need to get a temporary traffic order.
Contact the parking team
If you have a question about parking permits and car park season tickets that is not answered on this page, you can contact us for help.