Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Who can get a Blue Badge
You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if:
- you have a certificate of visual impairment (CVI) showing you are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- you receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have a score of 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component
- you receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points exactly under the 'planning and following a journey' activity (with a descriptor mentioning severe psychological or mental distress)
- you receive the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and receive the higher rate of the mobility component
- you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
If you meet at least 1 of these criteria, we will issue your Blue Badge without any further assessment.
We will issue your badge in line with whichever is less:
- the date of your award’s end
- a 3 year period
If your award is valid for 2 years, the badge will be valid for 2 years.
If your award is valid for 4 years, the badge will be valid for the maximum 3 years.
If you're not automatically eligible
You may still be entitled to a badge if you:
- are unable to walk
- experience considerable difficulty while walking, which may include significant psychological distress
- are at risk of serious harm when walking
- pose a risk of serious harm to any other person while walking
We cannot guarantee eligibility until we've assessed your application.
If you are not automatically entitled to a Blue Badge, we may need to carry out further assessment as part of your application.
Our expert assessor is a senior physiotherapist. They may check social care and health databases to confirm your eligibility.
If you are asked to go to an independent mobility assessment, this will be in Amersham or Aylesbury.
Criteria we cannot consider
The Blue Badge scheme is focused on risk and identifying a clear benefit of need.
We will not consider the following criteria as part of our assessment process:
- the need for a wider space to allow vehicle doors to open fully
- difficulties carrying shopping
- the need for urgent access to public toilets, where none of the above qualification criteria are met
The Bladder and Bowel Foundation offers a nationally recognised scheme for people who need immediate access to toileting facilities.
We do not issue temporary Blue Badges.
We can only issue badges for 3 years to applicants who meet the qualification criteria listed on this page.