Apply for a cultivation licence to plant shrubs, wildflowers or grass on the public highway

You'll need a cultivation licence if you want to plant shrubs, plants, wildflowers or grass on land maintained by the council.

A cultivation licence costs £132 and lasts for 12 months.

How to apply

You can apply online for a cultivation licence.

You'll need to provide:

  • a clear plan of the plants, landscape and location of the cultivation
  • a copy of the contractor's public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £10 million)
  • the form showing that the statutory undertakers have been informed
  • the statutory undertakers clearance summary form

View the terms and conditions for a cultivation licence.

Apply now

If you do not submit all the required supporting documents when you apply, we cannot process your application. If this is the case, we will contact you asking you to submit them, which may affect your start date.

What happens next

Applications will take approximately 4 weeks to complete, providing all documents are submitted.

If you're unsure if the area where you want to plant something is private, you can check the list of streets we manage.

Help with your application

If you need any help or support with your application, email [email protected].