List of streets maintained by us
Use the online service to find out:
- where a street is
- the official name of the street
- maintenance responsibilities of that street
We regularly update this in light of new road adoptions. Whilst all effort is made to ensure the list is up to date, it cannot be guaranteed.
The map should only be used as an indication as to whether a street is publicly maintainable or not. The map does not show the full extent of maintenance responsibilities.
Find out full maintenance responsibilities for a road or street
To view full details about a road or street, you can request a Highway Extent search online.
There is a charge for Highway Extents searches as we must:
- make an interpretation of the data that is available
- determine if mixed maintenance responsibility applies to a specific property
It is this interpretation which results in costs.
Under the Freedom of Information Act, we can supply the list of streets, but we are under no obligation to look into this further and interpret what that means.
If you find that your road is unadopted, we will not undertake work on a private road at public expense. Maintenance of unadopted roads is the legal duty of the owner.
Roads maintained by us
We are responsible for:
- A roads primary, non-trunk roads, green backed road signs
- A, B and C non-primary, white backed road signs
- un-classified roads non-primary, white backed road signs
- all ‘A’ roads in Buckinghamshire constitute the principal road network of the county motorways, trunk roads. Some ‘A’ roads in Buckinghamshire also constitute the Strategic Road Network (SRN)
Roads maintained by Highways England
Highways England are responsible for motorways (blue backed signs)in Buckinghamshire includes:
- M4 (between junctions 7 and 8/9)
- M25 (between junctions 17 and 15/4B)
- M40 (between Junctions 1, 6, 8 and 9)
- trunk roads (green backed signs) A404(T)
- A40(T) (from M40 J1 (Denham) – eastwards into London Borough of Hillingdon