Apply to plant a tree on council land
You can suggest locations for trees to be planted within roadsides and verges managed and maintained by us. To apply, you’ll need to provide the:
- location where you would like the trees to be planted (including the grid reference)
- map of the location
- tree species
- number of trees you would like planted
It is essential that trees planted next to roads impose minimal risk to the health and safety of the public and do not interfere with utilities such a water pipes or electricity supplies.
About the application
Completed forms will be reviewed by an appropriate Local Area Technician (LAT) and you will receive a response within 28 days.
If your application is successful, we’ll offer support with:
- the licencing process for undertaking tree planting
- location of services and digging
- insurance (Public Liability)
- requirements for tree planting works
- selecting the right species and variety (right tree and right location)
Depending on when we receive your enquiry, we may plant the tree(s) in the following season. This is usually between October and March.
Planting the tree
If your application is approved by the LAT, you can ask for an offer to be generated. This offer will be sent to you within 10 days and will be valid for 60 days from the date issued.
The offer will confirm the specification, such as:
- tree species
- number of trees
- terms and conditions
- use of mulch, mulch mats, irrigation system, staking and ties
Please note that any roadside tree planting will be carried out by us or our representatives.