Looking to rent

Private renting

Probably the quickest route to finding a home as the demand for social housing is very high.

If you need advice on what to look out for when viewing a property, check out Urban Jungle's checklist for renters.

Places to find private rented accommodation

  • lettings agents: many landlords advertise their homes through letting agents and will usually charge a full month’s rent in advance and a deposit. The agent may also charge a fee.
  • local supermarket noticeboards, newsagents and newspapers usually have a rental section. It is best to contact the landlord quickly if you find a property you like.

Other useful websites that advertise properties are:

Right to rent

The law surrounding who is eligible to rent a property in England has changed. The changes affect tenancies granted to private tenants which started on or after 1 February 2016, including people who sublet or take in lodgers. The Right to Rent regulations mean that you’ll have to show that you have a right to rent property if:

  • you’re starting a new tenancy
  • there’s a break in your tenancy

You need to provide documentary evidence to your landlord or letting agent to prove that you have the right to live and rent in England without restriction. This affects you and any other adults living in the property. Without such evidence you will be unable to legally rent a property.

For further information about the changes and details of acceptable evidence, visit the GOV.UK Private Renting page

Social housing

You’ll normally need to register with Bucks Home Choice to apply for social housing. Some housing associations may accept direct applications. You will need to contact them to apply.

Register with Bucks Home Choice 

If you're on a low income

If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get help paying your rent. Visit our housing benefits page to find out more.

For more information on renting check the 'How To Rent' guide (GOV.UK).