Homeless or at risk of losing your home

Evidence required for homelessness assistance

If you’re homeless, we may ask you many questions about your current and past circumstances and to provide documented evidence.

It’s in your interests to supply this quickly as it assists us in making the best decision. We may need some or all of the following documents.

Proof of homelessness

Documents we need may need, include:

  • legally valid Notice to Quit
  • court possession order
  • bailiff's warrant
  • documents from your bank or mortgage company
  • a letter from your employer for tied accommodation
  • letter from the people you are living with stating the date on which you must leave.

Proof of personal details

These will vary according to individual circumstances but the documents we need may include:

  • identification for all individuals on the application such as birth certificates, passports or driving licences 
  • proof of any pregnancy
  • proof of responsibility for dependent children
  • National Insurance numbers
  • proof of benefits received
  • wage slips and bank statements for the past 3 months
  • current tenancy agreements
  • proof of all past addresses for the past 5 years for all individuals applying, like utility bills, correspondence and proof of sale of properties
  • proof of all income sources, bills and other outgoings
  • if relevant, documents proving you’re eligible for assistance, proof of divorce or any other legal documents relevant to your circumstances
  • proof of any relevant medical conditions from a qualified professional, including details of prescription medication

We will use the information you provide us with to support your application and provide you with focussed help. View our privacy policy.

A homelessness advisor will then discuss your options, focusing on practical and legal advice to help you stay where you are or help you to find alternative accommodation.

You will be asked for information which will help us to determine how we can help you to stay where you are.

For example, we can help you:

  • negotiate with your landlord to enable you to remain at your tenancy
  • look for opportunities to maximize your income so that you can afford to remain in your home
  • identify extra security measures that could be put in place so that you feel safe in your home
  • negotiate with friends or relatives, enabling you to remain with them for a longer period of time

Based on the information you provide, they will be able to advise you on your immediate options, focusing on practical and legal advice to help you stay where you are and /or help you to find alternative accommodation. If we cannot prevent your homelessness, then we will help you look for somewhere else to live.


To be eligible for housing help from the council, you must meet certain immigration and residence conditions.

We also need to establish if we have a legal duty to provide you with accommodation, if you are at risk of losing your home or currently have no accommodation.

What happens next

After talking to you, your homelessness adviser will make a decision on what legal duties, if any, we owe you. You will be informed of this decision in writing.