Apply for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order on a public right of way

A Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) must be made to allow:

  • temporary path closures
  • temporary restrictions on rights of way

We keep a register of applications for TTROs.

HS2 path closures in Buckinghamshire are subject to a different process:

Further information regarding HS2 closures can be found on the HS2 website.

How to apply

If the works will not affect public rights of way but will affect roads, you'll need to apply for a TTRO on a road.

Anyone can apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order. However, applicants must discuss proposals with a rights of way officer before submitting the application.

We will need 3 months’ notice if you're applying for a closure (including special events).

The maximum temporary closure is 6 months, but the applicant can reapply to extend this. If you intend to do this, you must give 2 months notice.

The charge for each closure is £2,186.35

You will need to contact [email protected] for further information and to receive an application form.

What happens after you apply

If your TTRO application is accepted, we will need to publish a notice in the press stating the intention to make the TTRO.

A further notice will be published no earlier than a week later when the TTRO is made. Site notices will also be displayed at the start and end of the affected route(s).

Help with your application

If you need help with your application, please contact [email protected].