Council Tax: Save time, do it online

Set up a Direct Debit, make a payment, opt for paperless ebilling, view your statement or tell us you’ve moved – all through one account. Sign up for a online Council Tax account today.

Appeal a Council Tax bill or decision

You can appeal a bill if:

  • you believe your home should be exempt
  • you receive a discount
  • bills are being sent to the wrong person
  • the amount charged is incorrect

How to appeal

You can appeal in writing to [email protected] saying why you think your bill is wrong.

The council will decide that the bill is either:

  • wrong and send you a new one
  • correct and explain why

You must continue to pay the amounts listed until a new bill arrives.

You should hear back from us regarding your appeal within 2 months.

If we reject your appeal

You can ask us to reconsider the decision if you do not agree.

Email [email protected] to confirm:

  • why you think the decision is incorrect
  • what you believe we have not considered in our decision

You should also provide any further proof that may help in the decision making.

If you don't agree with our decision

If you still disagree with our decision, you have several options.

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal if you:

  • think our decision is wrong
  • have not heard back within 2 months

You can make your appeal with the Valuation Tribunal online.

There are 6 types of Council Tax related appeals that the Valuation Tribunal can look at, these are:

Feedback, complaints and the ombudsman

If you’re unhappy with a Stage 2 complaint response, you can find details of the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman in our feedback, compliments and complaints policy.