Getting extra support from your energy provider
If you're struggling to pay your energy bills you may be able to:
- get reductions, grants and other support from your provider
- add yourself to the Priority Services Register (if you're considered a vulnerable person)
Support from your energy provider
Your provider may be able to help you with energy costs through:
- full payment plan reviews
- affordable debt repayment plans
- payment breaks
- payment reductions
It's important to make contact with your provider as early as possible.
For some common energy provider support plans see:
- Anglian Water support service (Water Care)
- British Gas energy support fund
- Octopus Energy hardship fund (Octo Assist)
- Thames Water financial support
Assistance with utility debt, bills or household items
Charis Grants can help you apply for help with:
- utility debt
- utility bills
- household items
To view current schemes and start your application, visit the Charis Grants website.
Support for vulnerable people (Priority Services Register)
The Priority Services Register is a free support service that vulnerable people can sign up to in advance of emergencies like:
- power outages
- water shortages
- meter faults
- landline or broadband faults
Registers are held by energy providers, network operators and some water and telecoms suppliers to protect vulnerable customers in times of emergency. For example by:
- carrying out priority fault repairs
- helping with prepayment meter access
- visiting you to check you're safe during power outages
- providing bottled water during water shortages
If you're still struggling to pay your bills
If you've contacted your provider and are still struggling to pay your household bills or top up your pre-payment meter, you should contact our Helping Hand team.
We will discuss the options available to you and help you apply for grants from third-party organisations.
We may also be able to help with other essential bills.