Stalking and harassment

Stalking is fixated, persistent and unwanted attention that makes you feel pestered and harassed.

It includes behaviour that happens two or more times, directed at or towards you by another person, which causes you to:

  • feel alarmed or distressed
  • fear that violence might be used against you

Stalking is illegal, telephone 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

Help if you’re affected by stalking

Thames Valley Police has advice on how to spot the signs of stalking.

As well as reporting stalking to the police, there are other ways you can get help:

The National Stalking Helpline

The National Stalking Helpline provides confidential, free advice and support. You can:

Aurora New Dawn

A registered charity giving safety, support, advocacy, and empowerment to survivors of domestic abuse, sexual violence and stalking.


Paladin assists high risk victims of stalking throughout England.

Call for support on 020 3866 4107.

Suzy Lamplugh Trust

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust has further personal safety advice for daily situations.

Get Safe Online

If you feel that you are experiencing harassment or stalking, you can:

  • keep a diary of events; write down the date, time, location and any other details you believe are relevant
  • keep copies of all communication e.g. letters, text messages, phone calls, emails, and social media
  • carry a personal alarm
  • download a personal safety app Holliguard app provides a level of personal safety and protection when travelling alone

Do not engage with your stalker in any way.

Report stalking

If stalking is taking place now, or there is a situation that may become heated or violent, you should:

  • telephone the police on 999
  • contact 18000 if you are a textphone user
  • text the police on 999 (if you’re registered for the emergencySMS service)

If you’re not able to speak out loud, telephone the police on your mobile phone using 999, then press 55 to get help through the silent solution system.

Report stalking that is not an emergency

If the situation is not an emergency, you should:

Contact the community safety team

For further advice and support, contact the community safety team.