Apply for street trading consent in the former Chiltern district area

Street trading is selling or offering for sale any article in the street.
For example, this could be:

  • a food stall
  • a catering van

Where you can trade

The former Chiltern district area has:

  • streets where you can trade
  • streets where trading is not allowed

Find out more in the Street Trading Policy.

Food businesses

All food businesses are legally required to register with us at least 28 days before their intended opening date.

Find out more about Registering a food business.

Pavement licence

To put removable tables and chairs on the public highway, you need to Apply for a pavement licence.


You will be charged a non-refundable application fee based on:

  • the number of hours you plan to trade
  • the length of the consent

To find out how much your consent will cost, contact us:

Email: [email protected]

Applications will only be considered once the fee is paid.

Apply online

You must be 18 years or older to hold a consent.

If you intend to trade in a fixed position, you will need to produce a plan which should:

  • be of least 1:1250 scale
  • clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line

The application should also include:

  • details of the proposed activity, including the type of goods being sold, opening times and days
  • written permission of the landowner if on private land
  • confirmation that adequate levels of third party and public liability insurance is, or will be, in place during street trading activity
Apply now

If you need to alter an existing street trading consent, you can change it online.

What happens next

We can make one of the following decisions on the application:

  • refuse the application
  • grant it on different terms than those applied for
  • confine trading to a particular place in a street
  • vary the conditions of the consent
  • revoke the consent

If we do not grant the application we will send you a letter to explain why the application has been refused

Starting to trade

You cannot start trading until consent is granted.

If you have not heard about your application within two months, you can check online or contact the licensing team.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent.

For example, conditions might:

(a) prevent obstruction of the street or danger to persons using it

(b) prevent nuisance or annoyance, whether to persons using the street or otherwise

(c) state where the holder of the street trading consent may trade

(d) limit the times of day or length of time for which a street trader might operate

Appeal a decision

If your application for consent has been refused and you would like to correct what is wrong and reapply, contact the licensing team:

Email: [email protected]

The Licensing Team
Buckinghamshire Council
King George V House
King George V Road

Contact the licensing team