Licences for playing or performing music

You do not need a licence for live music if:

  • it takes place between 8am and 11pm
  • it takes place at an alcohol on-licensed premises
  • the audience consists of no more than 200 people (amplified music only – unamplified music has no audience limit)
  • it takes place on land owned by the council

We may introduce licence conditions if they’re needed to protect residents.

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) may also be needed. You can apply for a TEN or find out more online.

You'll need to apply for a licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS) website if you want to play:

  • copyright music at work
  • recorded live music or DJ mixes

Contact the licensing team

If you have a licence query, email [email protected].