Register a death

Correcting a death registration

You can request a correction to a death registration if the information is wrong, for example a mistake in spelling a person’s name.

How it works

We won't change a certificate once it's been issued, but you can:

  • apply to get a note added to the original entry in the death register
  • get an updated certificate that shows this note

If you were not the person who gave the original information during the death registration appointment, you'll usually need a letter from the person who did.

Apply for a correction

If you need to make a correction, you should contact the registration service team. We can provide advice on what you need to do.