Privacy and waste and recycling
This privacy notice explains how Waste and Recycling services at Buckinghamshire Council (the data controller) will use the personal information we collect about you when you use these services.
Information held about you
We can hold the following information on you:
- your name
- your address
- your contact details, including telephone number and email address
- details of other residents at your address
- contact we have had with you (such as correspondence)
We may hold the following additional information:
- health details if you need help putting your bins out
- payment details if you pay for a service
- vehicle registered keeper details, for vehicles reported as abandoned
- site access details (vehicle / trailer / via foot) if you have a waste permit and / or completed a self-declaration form
- waste details if you have a waste permit and / or completed a self-declaration form Electronic surveillance details gathered through site webcams, CCTV, ANPR, bodycams, covalent technology
- survey response details if you have taken part in an on-site / on-line customer survey
- trader (commercial customer) details if you are using trade waste services
- photographs of waste containers and collection points, including images of properties
- photographs of vehicles reported abandoned and subject to investigation
- information (typically name of owner and address) relating to deceased pets reported to our service
- information (typically name and address) gathered from a waste crime
Failure to provide us with information we require may result in us being unable to offer you the full range of our services or even a service at all.
Why we need your information
We need your information to:
- collect rubbish, recycling and bulky waste from households and commercial properties, including keeping you up to date on our services for example weather-related service updates
- provide bins, including replacement bins
- help put your bin out if you are experiencing difficulties and don’t have anyone to help you
- collect garden waste if you pay for the service, including managing the service for example contacting you about renewal or taking payments
- collect clinical waste when requested, including managing the service for example contacting you about types of waste
- manage the Household Recycling Centres (HRC)
- issue permits where required for example if you visit an HRC using a commercial vehicle such as a pick up, van, minibus (8 to 11 seats) or flatbed truck and / or a trailer bigger than 0.9m x 1.2m, if you are disposing of asbestos, or if you are on foot.
- perform any of our statutory enforcement duties
- prevent and detect crime
- run promotional campaigns and promote our own services where customers have agreed to receive such material
- respond to customer feedback and complaints
- contact you to take part in reviews or surveys and ask your opinion about our services to understand how we can deliver a better service
- ensure our databases are accurate for the administration of our services
The Aylesbury Vale garden waste service provides property collection and service updates linked to identifiable property addresses on the public website. No subscriber information is included.
What is the legal basis for us to process your data?
The legal basis for processing the data under the UK GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 is:
- Article 6(1)(a) Your consent, in relation to our promotional campaigns. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting [email protected]
- Article 6(1)(b) We have a contractual obligation, where you pay for a service
- Article 6(1)(c) We have a legal obligation
- Article 6(1)(e) We need it to perform a public task
The legislation/regulations we work under includes:
- Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
- Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989
- Environment Act 1995
- Controlled Waste Regulations 2012
- Waste Framework Directive 2008
- Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010
- Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2013
- Local Government Act 1972
If we need to use your special category information, we can use it with explicit consent or where it is necessary for reasons of the substantial public interest.
How we share and process your information
We will share your information, if appropriate, with:
- third parties (data processors) contracted by Buckinghamshire Council to work on behalf of the Council to support our services
- other bodies in connection with the prevention of crime, criminal or legal investigations or proceedings including fraud (and the National Fraud Initiative) or regulatory functions (such as the Local Government Ombudsman) or in relation to safeguarding purposes
- Environment Agency
- housing associations and landlords
- other relevant services within the Council
We will securely hold your information and only keep it for as long as is necessary. Where information is no longer needed it will be confidentially disposed of.
The Council may transfer personal data that is processed for the purposes of this privacy notice to countries outside of the territorial scope of UK data protection laws, including:
- EEA countries
Automated decision making
We do not carry out any automated decision making in relation to this information.
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to the Data Protection Officer. You can also then complain to the ICO if you remain unhappy with how we have used your data.
Date of publication/last update: Nov 2021.