Privacy and Taxi Licensing
We have an obligation to explain how we collect and use your personal information. This is known as 'processing'.
- what we do with your data
- how we collect and use data that we are legally obliged to publish
This page provides an explanation of what we do with your data for the purposes of taxi licensing.
Purpose of processing
The primary lawful basis and purposes for processing personal data is to enable us to deliver our services.
We need to process personal data in the exercise of our public functions and powers (public task), and to perform tasks in the public interest, that are set out in law.
Processing enables us to administer the taxi licensing service, process applications, undertake enforcement activity and contact customers and users regarding the service.
Information we collect and hold for taxi licensing
Some special categories of personal data are processed to carry out our taxi licensing obligations. This includes information about health or medical conditions. For certain licences it is necessary to carry out criminal records checks. This is to ensure that individuals are fit and proper to hold a licence.
We collect and hold the following information for taxi licensing purposes:
- personal details such as name, address, date of birth, email address and telephone number
- National Insurance number
- driving licence information
- proof of identity e.g. passport, driving licence or utility bill
- information on your right to work in the UK
- information about your criminal record
- if you have ever had any criminal convictions, cautions or fixed penalty notices, recorded against you
- if you have ever been refused or disqualified a licence or had a licence suspended or revoked by the DVLA or another Licensing Authority
- information about medical or health conditions
- a photo image of you
- training you have participated in
- warnings or sanctions issued to you and related correspondence
How we collect your information
We collect information in a number of ways, such as:
- application forms
- official documents
- correspondence with you; or through interviews, meetings or other assessments
- web chat services
- My Account
- complaints and intelligence reports
We seek information from third parties for taxi licensing purposes. For example, DBS checks, other local authority and police checks, DVLA checks and checks with training/test providers.
Data is stored in a range of different places, including:
- My Account
- the taxi licensing service management system(s)
- in other IT systems including our email system
How we share and process your information
We may share information in connection with the prevention of crime, criminal or legal investigations or proceedings including fraud (and the National Fraud Initiative), regulatory functions and for safeguarding purposes.
In addition we may also pass on and share information with other agencies, organisations, local authority departments and/or government departments as allowed by law to ensure:
- the information is accurate
- the protection of public funds
Bodies we will share with include:
- Thames Valley Police and other Police Forces
- Vehicle Inspectorate
- Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
- Other government and local government Authorities
- Chiltern Railways
- Disclosure and Barring Service
- Department for Transport
- Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- Home Office
- Department for Work and Pensions
- other Buckinghamshire Council services and providers working on our behalf for taxi licensing purposes
- licensed Buckinghamshire Council operators
It may sometimes be necessary to access information about you from overseas countries or territories around the world to provide the service. Any access made will be in full compliance with the General Data Protection Regulations.
We will only keep your information to provide you with the necessary services, in line with the relevant legislation and/or guidance.
Who has access to the information
The information we hold is only used for the intended purpose but if we intend to use it for any other purpose, we will normally ask you first. In some cases, we may use your information for another purpose if:
- it has a legal duty to do so
- in order to provide a complete service to you
- where we identify a potential entitlement to another benefit or service by you
- to prevent and detect fraud
- if there is a risk of serious harm or threat to life
We publish public registers for taxi licensing in line with statutory guidance. These include details such as:
- your name
- your licence, plate or badge number
- the licence dates
- your licensed vehicle details including make and model and operator
- taxi operator name
- contact name and telephone number for wheelchair accessible vehicles
Automated decision making
We do not carry out any automated decision making within this service.
Changes in your circumstances
You should notify us immediately if there are any changes in your circumstances and personal details so we can maintain an accurate and up to date record of your information.
You can change your data rights preferences at any time by logging into your My Account.