Adult social care compliments and complaints

Let us know about your experience with the adult social care service and we will work with you to determine the best way to resolve this. If another organisation is involved, such as the National Health Service, we will work together with them to resolve your complaint.

Unhappy with a service or care you are receiving?

If you have any concerns about a service, speak to the appropriate member of staff as soon as possible. You could also contact their manager to discuss your dissatisfaction. Most concerns are dealt with quickly and successfully in this way.

Make a formal complaint using the statutory complaints procedure

Our complaints procedure is based on government guidelines. The procedure aims to resolve complaints more effectively and gives us the chance to learn and improve.

Anyone who receives, or is affected by, a social care service can make a complaint.

If you prefer, you can ask someone to complain on your behalf. This could be a relative, friend, carer, doctor or someone independent who can speak for you.

Put your complaint in writing to the us setting out what has happened and what resolution you are seeking to put things right.

You can get in touch by:

Submitting your complaint online

Start your complaint


[email protected]


01296 387 844


Compliments and Complaints Team
Buckinghamshire Council
Walton Street Offices
Walton Street
HP20 1UA

Further guidance