Dispose of business and charity waste

Business waste and your duty

Business waste is any waste that is produced by a commercial activity. It includes waste from construction, demolition, industry and agriculture, but also includes waste from:

  • charities
  • clubs and societies
  • any part of your home used for a business activity

Every business that produces waste in the UK has a legal ‘duty of care’ to:

  • manage it properly until it's recycled or disposed of
  • always use a registered waste carrier or register to carry your own waste
  • keep the correct paperwork for at least 2 years

View guidance on GOV.UK how to dispose of business or commercial waste.

Dispose of your own business waste

We allow small businesses to use the following recycling centres to dispose of waste:

These sites are only available to use Monday to Friday.

Before you visit a site you will need to register as a waste carrier. This is free if you only transport waste you produce yourself.

You will be given a waste transfer note as proof of proper disposal of the waste.

Business waste is charged by weight with different prices for each waste type.

We accept non-commercial fridge / freezers for £27.33 each (£32.80 inc VAT).

These sites accept commercial vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes.

How to pay

Before unloading your waste, see a member of site staff who will work out how much you need to pay.

Payments will be accepted by:

  • credit card
  • debit card
  • pre-paid payment card
  • business cheques

Cash payments will not be accepted.

The charges for any waste items not specifically listed will be decided by staff on site, based on the current price list. The decision of site staff is final.

Items not accepted by businesses

  • air conditioning units
  • asbestos
  • batteries
  • chemicals and paint
  • commercial fridge/freezers
  • computer monitors
  • fluorescent tube lights
  • gas bottles
  • oils (cooking and engine oil)
  • televisions and tyres

Charity and not-for-profit waste

We offer a chargeable waste and recycling collection service. You would need to contact us to discuss you requirements, so we can provide you with a quote.

We will not be able to collect:

  • construction and demolition waste
  • commercial, industrial or hazardous waste
  • waste generated outside of Buckinghamshire

If you have these types of waste you could take them to a recycling centre. You would need to pay a charge.

View the charges section for full listing of items.

Visiting a recycling centre

We allow charities or not-for-profit organisations to use recycling centres to dispose of waste:

Before visiting you will need to complete two applications:

  • contact the Environment Agency (EA) for a waste carrier licence or exemption and complete a WMC2 form. This will enable them to decide if it is appropriate to issue an exemption certificate. It’s free to register and registration lasts for 3 years
  • once you have an exemption certificate, you can apply for a waste permit from us

When you have completed both of these applications and been successful you can visit the recycling centre.

  • bring your waste carriers licence (or exemption) to the household recycling centre to show staff before depositing waste
  • show your online permit or bring along a paper copy to show staff

Items we don't accept for recycling from charities and not-for-profit organisations

  • asbestos
  • hazardous waste
  • lead acid (vehicle) batteries
  • chemicals
  • any electrical items e.g. fridges/freezers, TVs and monitors, small appliances
  • light bulbs or fluorescent tube lights
  • gas bottles
  • cooking or engine oil
  • tyres

Pay a contractor to dispose of your waste

If you need to dispose of waste from a commercial property, you should use a licensed waste disposal company. You will need to have a trade refuse agreement with the waste disposal company.

For further guidance visit GOV.UK - guidance for managing your waste.