Getting your voice heard
You have a legal right to have your views heard.
The Children and Families Act 2014 says so.
As a local authority (Buckinghamshire Council) the Act states we must:
- listen to the views, wishes and feelings of the child and their guardians
- make sure they are participating as fully as possible in the decisions
- provide them with all the information and support necessary to make those decisions
- facilitate the development of the young person through support to help them achieve the best possible education
This means that the professionals around you must:
- help you to give your views
- make sure you have the information you need to make decisions
- listen to your views and take them into account
This means you should be given choices, kept in the loop, invited to meetings, sent reports and encouraged to give your views in the way which suits you.
Your views are also needed to improve the help given for children and young people with SEND. There are groups you can join to be part of this.